MARLBOROUGH TRAMPING CLUB INC
The Gosling Hut
Early in 1956 some club members thought that a hut in the Gosling Valley would help with climbing and tramping trips in the Bounds Range.
A suitable site was found and permission to build on Te Arowhenua Climatic Reserve was obtained from the Lands and Survey Dept. The club granted $50 to the building fund, Internal Affairs granted $50 and further funds came from donations and raffles. All the timber was pre-cut by Bernie Kennington in his woolshed over the winter and the match lining donated by W J Kennington.
Absolutely everything had to be carried in on the backs of club members. The chimney was carried in on two manuka poles.
On Labour weekend 1957 a large party of club members tramped in for a grand opening party. The final cost of the hut was $157.59
The concrete floor was laid in May 1973 and over the years improvements have been made to this little hut. Funds from the Outdoor Consortium enabled a working party headed by Kerry Millard to upgrade and improve the Gosling.